Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Country Road

In our dreams we travel many roads – country roads, city streets, highways, freeways, overpasses, underpasses, familiar neighborhoods, all leading us on, to somewhere. Well, if life is a journey, that makes perfect sense.

We can’t look ahead, at least not far, but our dreams can reveal about how we are journeying right now – what our choices are, or whether a given road is a good road. I think the turns and intersections, also warn us of approaching decisions and changes coming. This is not exactly seeing into the future, but maybe more like an element of foreshadowing.

A Country Road


In my waking life, I travel a country road every day. It has two lanes, with a double yellow line so you can’t pass. Nothing ever happens on this road – the traffic pattern is predictable with a couple of slow down spots, and an occasionally a slow tractor.
 
I do a lot of thinking, planning, and feeling on this road. When I lost my dad, I cried this road every day on the way home. On this road, I didn’t have to pretend like things were fine. I didn’t have to be productive. And nobody could ask me for anything. This is the road where I am what I am and I feel what I feel. After a while, it brought me peace.
 

photograph of two roads meeting in a flat countryside
A Country Road
In my dreams, I also travel this road, coming to it from a different direction and joining it at an intersection. In reality the intersection has fields on all four sides, and on one corner is the Grange. The two roads also do not meet cleanly in a cross, but the road takes a jog to the south.  It is an interesting spot, and meaningful in some different ways. After all, my dreams could present any intersection, so why was this on? Because it offers rich symbols of course!

Decisions and Crossroads


I think the intersections in dreams represent decision points approaching. Will I try and cross and continue on this road? Is it a good road? Is it going in the right direction? Do I really want to continue it? Maybe I should consider all my options carefully. In addition, beside the road, there are fields. Do I need to make some minor adjustment, or do I need to change my ‘field?’ Field could refer to a field of endeavor or a field of work.

The Grange


photograph of a white grange hall with a steeple, resembles a church
A Grange hall that resembles a Church
The Grange is interesting too. (The truth is that I’ve never been in a Grange and everything I know about them has been learned online. )I’m not much of a country girl really. However, in my dreams, the Grange Hall is something like my inner church, only it has a very different feel. The hall seems to represent an older, agriculture-based, level of spirituality with an emphasis on the earth and fertility. Where does that image take me?
According to Jung, we all hold Archetypes, sort of master symbols, part of our Collective past – giving us the benefit of the human races entire history. The Archetypes are passed to us at birth, and reinforced by our own experiences with nature and natural phenomena. To my dream life, the image of the four roads meeting at the Grange is highly significant.
 



 
What to do when I find myself there at the Grange? Should I just hurry past? Should I stop and celebrate the earth, my life, the life that I’m cultivating? Should I take time to reflect and explore the ideas that are presented in the dream? It is there for a reason.

Underground Road construction


For such a simple road, there is sure alot of construction on it! Life is also a work in progress isn’t it? Sometimes the bridge is out and being entirely replaced. Sometimes they are replacing all the water lines, sometimes working on underground power cables. During my commute, construction is just an inconvenience. But in a dream, it means heavy work is going on. If the construction is underground, you might not even be consciously aware of it. If the work is around water - it might be emotional work or repair. If the construction involves power, the work may be spiritual. If the bridge is out, you may be seeking a new way forward. 

I believe the construction symbol says to us – Hey, slow down. There is work going on here. You might not be able to see it or understand it, but that is OK. It will be done soon enough and you will be on your way.

If you give it some thought or your dream gives you some hints, you might be able to move along faster. Or maybe not. Some work can't really be rushed. You might just need to wait it out.

Your psyche can solve any problem or dilemma, with or without us trying. But I think it’s better if we know what our issues are and try and help out. Sometimes we know the direction, but not the steps. That is OK too. The psyche, our conscience, and our spirit together will move us along in the right direction.

Remember it is about the journey, not the destination, so let's enjoy the scenery.

Maybe you would like these Blogs too:

My Favorite Dream Dictionary Websites

Understanding Locations - Key to Getting Your Dream's Message

People You Know - Family, Friends, Co-workers, Bosses

The Trinity of Faith, Hope and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment