Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Trinity of Faith, Hope and Love

Uncovering Christian Dream Symbols - Diamonds, Blood, Feet



pencil drawing bringing together many images that represent faith,hope and love in my dreams including roses, diamonds, and feet.
Collage of Dream Images for Faith, Hope and Love
It’s Carl Jung’s contention that Christian symbolism ubiquitous in our culture, regardless of whether we are religious people, people of faith, or neither – the symbols of the Jewish and Christian faith are embedded in our ideals, social constructs, ideas fairness, sacrifice, and connection with the spiritual world. The Unconscious mind will use the symbols available to deliver the message we need.

I had to wonder a bit about my own personal symbology, because Christian symbols were largely missing – no crosses, Sistine chapel type images, angels, and other things. I had assumed that my spiritual dream symbols would be ‘traditional’ – perhaps like the great art works of older times. Not so, as it happens. So, I had to wonder about myself a bit, since nothing like that was showing up.

Over time however, I found that the Trinity of Faith, Hope and Love showed continually blended together in subtle forms.  These are some of the ways that I believe the Spirit and my spirit were communicating spiritual truths, higher calling, comfort, and hope. If the number 3 appeared, it did not seem to refer to body, mind, and spirit, but rather Faith, Hope and Love. My Big 3.

Hope  is a Diamond

Diamonds represent hope to me, as in the famous Hope Diamond. I have seen the diamond symbol in promise rings, family heirloom rings, cards like the 9 or queen of diamonds, and baseball diamonds. One ring contained a pink diamond, a blood diamond in essence, combining Love and Hope in single ring which should not be lost. Rings have the additional reference to promises made, kept, and hoped for. Once the diamonds decorated a hope chest.

Love is our Lifeblood

Blood is the image that speaks most clearly of Love to me. Blood feeds our hearts and our whole body. Love is the very essence of what we are in this world, to each other, and to our God. There was scary vampire that laughed at me before he bit me. All my Christian incantations could not make him go away - he had a mission to get through my protective skin, to the real me, and let all of my emotion, love, and pain come out –an absolute necessity in dealing personal loss. Even a vampire can be an unorthodox helper. The Unconscious mind will find a person to do the job.

Leona Lewis singing Bleeding Love

Faith is in our Walk

I was mystified by the images of my feet in my dreams, especially my own bare feet walking on glass or gem stones, yet unharmed. I saw this image twice, months apart. It was a powerful image and I puzzled over it for some time. One day, in another context I thought, “The Apostle Paul would say that faith is in your feet.” And there was the symbol for me. And indeed it is. Not our words, our feet.

Sometimes, I think the Unconscious will swap out an image if you just don’t get it, or sometimes it will repeat it again, as if to say, “Seriously, you should get this one.”

Faith and Love messages also come into dreams through the Dream People or characters. They might be people of strong faith, or have faith names, (promises, peace, beloved). See my blog on Dream People.

When you realize the message contained in a very important dream symbol’s message, I believe you will often feel powerful emotion, gratitude, joy, even tears. I have no doubt that I will be hearing and seeing more about my three friends Faith, Hope and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment