Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Wearin’ of the Gray

The Color Gray, as a Dream Symbol

Many times a Color has jumped out in a dream with a deeper message for me. Sometimes the dream dictionaries have been helpful, but sometimes not. The suggestions I saw in dream books for Gray were around depression, uncertainty, or indecisiveness. Really?

Gray Dresses

For me, those meanings did not seem relevant at all and I’ll tell you why. The gray showed up in two different dreams as gray dresses both times. The first dress was a darker gray satin formal length gown with spaghetti straps.

A dream will often present more questions than answers. By thinking about and answering the question, you will bring the information from your Unconscious to you Conscious mind - and be able to act to transform your life and thinking. So why a gray formal gown – it’s so not a party color.

In the second dream, I was at a boutique, trying on different styles of clothes. I tried on a gray dress, but not just any gray dress! It was such as a very high-powered woman executive might wear, beautifully weighted cloth, conservative cut, nice movement and flow and soft, yet structures. Clearly a meaningful dress, unrelated to depression or indecision.


An Aha! Moment


I didn't have that‘aha’ moment until quite a few months later, as I was getting my hair colored, covering the gray. Aha!



Messages


Those dream dresses were about wearing my age proudly, confidently, along with whatever wisdom and insight I might now have. They were a message of elegance, faith, stature. They were a message about not being fearful that I’m not so young (I did not say old!). A message about not being afraid of middle life.

Sure, there are complications and challenges, but now I have some ways to understand and deal with the challenges, better than ever before. That comes with my gray hair.

Beyond Black and White


As with symbols, there can be more than one layer. I think these dreams had more – about Life not being black and white, it’s often gray. And our maturity, life experience, and self forgiveness help us deal with the gray – and each other – with understanding and grace.


I know I need that. So, Gray is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment